The name of the Association shall be The National Organisation of Asbestos Consultants otherwise referred to as NORAC.
The aims of the Association shall be:
- To promote best practice and improvements in the asbestos analytical and surveying sectors.
- To share knowledge and understanding of asbestos related matters.
- To provide independent technical guidance for analysts and surveyors where gaps exist.
- To act as a focal point for members seeking advice and assistance with asbestos queries.
- To allow members to co-operate with each other and sharing experiences including unusual finds and uses of asbestos.
To further these aims the committee shall have power to:
- Obtain, collect and receive money or funds by way of membership contributions, donations, grants and any other lawful method towards the aims of the Association.
- Associate local and regulatory authorities, voluntary organisations and other organisations with similar aims in a common effort to carry out the aims of the Association.
- Do all such lawful things as will further the aims of the Association.
- A Management Committee elected annually at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) shall manage the Association with support from the general manager.
- The committee shall consist of a chair, secretary, treasurer, the general manager and up to four other voting members.
- In order to maintain continuity, once elected, the chair, secretary and treasurer will remain in post for a minimum of 3 years. These posts will then be subject for re-election at the rate of one per year e.g. the chair in year four, the secretary in year five and the treasurer in year six. The post of general manager will be a permanent role and not subject to re-election unless the need arises.
- The committee may co-opt up to a further three voting members who shall resign at the next Annual General Meeting.
- The committee shall meet at least 4 times each year.
- At least 3 committee members must be present at a committee meeting to be able to make decisions.
- A proper record of all transactions and meetings shall be kept.
- An Annual General Meeting shall be held within 12 months of the date of the adoption of this constitution and each year thereafter.
- Notices of the AGM shall be published three weeks beforehand and a report on the Group’s financial position for the previous year will be made available at the same time.
- General Meetings may be called at any time at the request of the committee, or not less than one quarter of the membership. A notice explaining the place, date, time and reason shall be sent to all members three weeks beforehand.
- One third of membership or four members being present, whichever is the greater, shall enable a General Meeting to take place.
- Proposals to change the constitution must be given in writing to the secretary at least 28 days before a general meeting and approved by a two thirds majority of those present and voting.
- The funds of the association including all donations, contributions and bequests, shall be paid into an account operated by the management committee. All cheques drawn on the account must be signed by at least two members of the Management Committee.
- The funds belonging to the association shall be applied only to further the aims of the association.
- A current record of all income, funding and expenditure will be kept.ng up Voluntary and Community Groups
- The Association may be dissolved by a resolution passed by a simple two-thirds majority of those present and voting at a Special General Meeting.
- If confirmed, the committee shall distribute any assets remaining after the payment of all bills to other group(s) or organisation(s) having aims similar to the Association or some other charitable purpose(s) as the Association may decide.