Fines were recently handed out to two Manchester companies, who allowed workers and the general public to be exposed to asbestos fibres.
According to the HSE, Swift Property Management Limited commissioned a survey in 2018 and identified ACM’s, however this information was not passed on to contractor Samer Constructions.
Samer Constructions were found to have failed in their duty to discover if a survey had taken place, and proceeded “with the work in a reckless manner resulting in two employees being exposed to asbestos fibres”.
The block had general waste, including asbestos, discarded on part of its roof which had spilled onto a car park below, endangering members of the public.
Swift Property Management Limited pleaded guilty to breaching sections 2(1) and 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974. The company was fined £25,000 and ordered to pay costs of £3,428.
Samer Constructions Limited, pleaded guilty to breaching sections 2(1) and 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974. The company was fined £12,000 and ordered to pay costs of £3,428.
These risks could so easily have been avoided by acting on the findings of the asbestos survey and carrying out correct control measures and safe working practices. Companies should be aware that HSE will not hesitate to take appropriate enforcement action against those that fall below the required standards.
Phil Redman, HSE inspector