On Monday 17th May, UKAS and HSE hosted a webinar laying out the transition process for laboratories to implement Asbestos: The Analysts’ Guide – HSG248 (2nd Edition).
The webinar lays out the transition process for laboratories that are currently accredited for:
- Sampling of air for fibre counting
- Fibre counting (PLM/PCM)
- Fibre counting (air and/or bulk) and identification (SEM/TEM)
- 4 Stage Clearance Process
- Identification of asbestos in bulk materials
- Sampling of bulk materials for asbestos identification
- Asbestos in soils – primarily identification, but also of interest to those laboratories that retain accreditation for quantification purposes.
In preparation, HSE would like to promote and relay the importance of the revised Guidance in support of its implementation. Further, given the inextricable link between Regulation and Accreditation in asbestos testing, UKAS would like to clarify the process of how changes to existing test and sampling methodologies will need to be demonstrated by Laboratories, in order to ensure the continuity of their accreditation.
Don't worry if you missed it as it's still available here: UKAS HSG248 (2nd Edition) Transition Process Timeline Webinar
And don't forget to join the discussion on all things HSG248, on our forum.